Tuesday, December 1, 2015

How Much Exercise Do Adults Need a Week?

"Exhausted Woman" by Petr Kratochvil

Personal Progress First


I went to my psychiatrist six months ago and she suggested I join a weight loss program. I started a program at a local health organization two months later.

Today, I went to my psychiatrist's office and I weighed the same as six months ago. She said it was good I maintained my weight over Halloween and Thanksgiving. Yes, I have done well! In between those visits I had gained 3 or 4 lbs. which I lost.

Two weeks ago, I weighed in at 230 lbs. That was a 1/2 lb. gain from my previous class. I was wearing different clothes than usual. Clothes can weigh a lot!

How Much Exercise Do Adults Need a Week?


A month ago, the personal trainer taught the second class about exercise. She went over how much exercise it takes to maintain heart health, maintain weight, and lose weight. I've been shooting for more exercise ever since. These guidelines are for adults 18-64. Look here for other age guidelines.

Exercise to Maintain Health


  • 30 minutes a day five times a week -or-
  • 2 hours and 30 minutes throughout the week -or-
  • 75 minutes of intense aerobic exercise throughout the week
  • and 2-3 times of toning during the week


Exercise to Maintain Weight

  • 60 minutes a day five times a week -or-
  • 5 hours throughout the week -or-
  • 2 hours and 30 minutes of intense aerobic exercise throughout the week
  • and 2-3 times of toning during the week

 Source:  2015 CDC guidelines


Exercise to Lose Weight

  • 90 minutes a day five times a week
  • 7 hours and 30 minutes throughout the week (following the pattern above)
  • 5 hours of intense aerobic exercise throughout the week (following the pattern above)
  • and 2-3 times of toning during the week
Source: WebMD

Anyone can take exercise to an extreme, so be careful not to overexercise. Your body needs a few days of recovery between exercise. Otherwise, you will feel overtired and may cause injuries to your body. Moderation in all things.

Now I am shooting for 90 minutes of exercise several days of the week. Previously, I only tried for 30-60 minutes three times a week, which is why I haven't had much success losing weight.

I have worked on some of my other issues such as getting enough sleep, reducing stress, and eating more vegetables and fruit. Because of this and increasing exercise time, I hope I will lose weight instead of maintain my weight. Or heaven forbid--gain weight!


Have you ever had trouble losing weight even though you are exercising and eating right?

No comments:

Post a Comment