Saturday, October 10, 2015

History of my Weight Scales

"Scale for Weighing" by Lynn Greyling
I've gained a pound when I went into class last week. So I was at 233 lbs. I weigh myself on my home scale and I'm 226 to 227. So, my home scale is off by six pounds. I always thought I was so skinny at home and then I suddenly gained weight at the doctor's office. Really? Scales should all agree! Maybe if we hooked them up wirelessly.

It's just a regular scale without any electronic parts. We had bought electronic scales in the past, but they would break.

With the first one, the washer drain hose wasn't hooked up to the sink so it flooded the laundry room. The electronics fried on the scale. It sort of worked after that, but I think we bought a second digital scale and it broke too. Maybe it got flooded by laundry or my boys played with it too much. Anyway, it stopped working correctly. And we had to put in new batteries all the time.

So I bought a cheap, no electronic scale. No one can ruin it! It's tough; it's durable; I can toss it down the stairs and stomp on it. Okay, it would probably break then. Maybe I should try that.

Scales are not my best friend because they lie to me and because they break too easily. Technically, I can adjust my manual scale by six pounds. Then it would stop lying to me.

I'll just lie to myself...I weigh 300 pounds. Wait...that's too high. I weigh 125 pounds. Wait...that's too low. I weigh the magic goal weight of 145-155 pounds. Yes that's right. Honestly, it would be nice to weigh 199 pounds. I would be in Onederland!

I see people who complain about being 20 lbs overweight and I wish that were my problem! On the other hand, other people would love to be 233 lbs. instead of over 300 lbs. It's all a matter of perspective.

A number doesn't always matter. It is more the percentage of body fat compared to lean muscle mass. BMI isn't exactly that reliable either. If you weigh more because of muscle mass, but have a healthy body fat percentage, your BMI could be high, but you would be perfectly healthy.

It's just a matter of personal health that reduces risks of heart disease, diabetes, joint pain, and other overweight medical problems. You can be slender or slightly overweight, as long as you are healthy.

What does it really boil down to? Being happy wherever you are on the journey and progressing toward overall health.

No comments:

Post a Comment