Thursday, October 22, 2015

2.5 Lbs. Gone and an Oncoming Cold

"Cold Winter Time" by Petr Kratochvil
I lost 2.5 lbs as of last Thursday. I haven't weighed myself today, but I may later tonight. My emotions stay more positive when I only weigh myself once a week--or every other week. What helped me lose those pounds? Honestly, I don't know. I ate okay, went to bed on time most nights, and toned two times a week. Only simple things. I stressed little over my weight.

In the stress management class, the dietitian mentioned a client that kept gaining weight because she stressed over her weight. When she stopped stressing over her weight, she lost the weight. It's like when infertile couples stop worrying about having a baby and they finally get pregnant. Simply control what I can do--exercise, eat right, and sleep--and not worry about what I can't control.

This morning I felt a cold coming on--the ache between my mouth and nose. My body feels slightly weaker and I feel tired. I probably have a cold because I stayed up until 1:30 am a few nights ago. It weakened my immune response. Now I'm taking steps to be rid of this cold faster.

Here are my tips to overcome a cold:

(You know you want to read them, even if they will do nothing.)

  • Take vitamin C on the hour, every hour the moment I feel the ache in my nasal cavity.
  • Drink lots of fluids.
  • Nap, sleep.
  • Be lazy.
  • Disinfect like crazy (if I have the energy).
  • Ignore the messy house.
  • Send my husband out for pizza.
I believe the vitamin C, liquids, and rest help. For my sanity, I need to let some things slide. Usually, on the third or fourth day, I disinfect my entire house and clean. Probably too little too late :).

How do I prevent colds--if I bother?
  • Go to bed on time!
  • Relax from stress.
  • Avoid large amounts of sugar.
  • Remind my kids to wash their hands; happens on occasion.
  • Wash my own hands.
  • Disinfect the house.
  • Had surgery on my sinuses.
Inevitably, the cold comes. Getting sick is life and there's no way to avoid it. 

You could get the flu shot to prevent the flu. I hate flu shots and my husband bamboozled me into getting one this year. I felt achy for two days after. Instead, why not chance the flu? 

Unfortunately, there are no cold shots. I would get one of those! 

No comments:

Post a Comment